Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The TV Interview - Silverfish Featured on Channel 8 News

When I completed Silverfish and was in the midst of putting it on iTunes and Amazon's digital stores, I was very fortunate enough to get a call from the media to do a television interview.

It was specifically for Channel 8's prime time news, and they were very keen to talk to me on the making of the album and how I managed to end up on iTunes.

This was back at the end of June, and I never got around to blog about it on my food blog as this piece did not feel right on a food site.

Thankfully, I have this new music blog here and I thought I would like to share a bit on the interview itself, which was obviously a very exciting event for me.

The whole thing was arranged literally in less than a day, and they wanted to film it almost the very day they called me up. We ended up in a Chinese dance school utilizing one of their music rooms for the shoot.

As this was for Chinese news, the first thing that came across my mind was my poor command of Mandarin, and I was basically struggling to learn the Mandarin terms of the things that I was going to talk about.

Thankfully, the crew from MediaCorp were really professional and put me to ease almost instantly. Zhao Wenbei, the presenter and interviewer, was a class act.

Within minutes, she swiftly briefed me on the questions that she wanted to put forth and was thoroughly keen to try my iPad at the same time.

The Brilliant Cameraman
 
The cameraman and sound man were equally brilliant, and they really knew their craft well. Getting the angles and lighting setup very quickly and ensuring the sound was setup correctly at the same time.

For the interview, I was also introduced to Mr Goh Su Yong, a master of Chinese musical instruments and a brilliant composer himself. I will touch upon the venerable Mr Goh in future posts as he needs an entire blog to go through!

Mr Goh was on hand to understand and learn how new technology like the iPad can combine with traditional Chinese music to produce something new. Andy Chia, from the New Horizons was also present to talk about using iPad versus a professional recording studio.

All in all, the interview was fun and exciting and a definite first for me. And when I saw the final segment, it was really a moment for me It is not everyday you get to be featured on national television. On prime time news no less!

I leave you with the actual news clip. Pardon the poor quality as it was literally shot from a hand held iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment